Active, well-nourished children learn more at school, have greater self-esteem, and grow to lead productive lives. Preventing childhood obesity isn’t just about avoiding weight and disease, it’s about building a brighter future. We are seeking a classroom teacher who shares our passion for making healthy fun!
Fit4Kids Wellness Integration Specialists work to infuse partner schools with a culture of health and wellness. This position, located in Hopewell, is responsible for training and mentoring elementary school classroom teachers so that they are skilled and comfortable integrating physical activity and nutrition information into the core curriculum. The Wellness Integration Specialist (WIS) will also work to create sustainable changes in the school environment to promote lasting wellness opportunities.
This is a teaching position for the 2019-20 school year and follows the school calendar. This position will be located in Hopewell with occasional meetings at Fit4Kids office in Richmond. The position will be open until filled with interviews beginning April 22nd. If interested, please submit resume and cover letter to Mary Dunne Stewart at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 17th.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- -Compiles lessons/activities that integrate physical activity (and whenever possible, nutrition information) into the core curriculum
- -Provides instruction and modeling to teachers/staff so that they will integrate physical activity and nutrition information into the core curriculum
- -Visits classrooms and provides feedback to teachers who are integrating physical activity and nutrition information into core curriculum
- -Facilitates the creation of School Wellness Council in partnership with the PTA and other school community members
- -Deliver trainings to university Education classes and groups of teachers about active learning
- -Work with teachers and staff to provide wellness opportunities for students outside of school hours (before and after school)
- -Works with school partners to plan and implement healthy changes for staff, students and families
- -Performs other related duties as assigned
- -Undergraduate or advanced college degree in either elementary education or physical education or related fields
- -Possession of a Virginia Teacher’s license required
- -Extensive knowledge of health education and wellness topics such as nutrition and physical fitness
- -Candidate must be reliable, passionate about Fit4Kids mission, and have excellent time management skills. Also, this position requires working independently as the sole Fit4Kids representative at a partner school, but also functions as part of a larger team.
- -Excellent communication skills and ability to develop rapport with adults and children
- -Enthusiasm and passion for helping students and teachers develop healthy eating and active lifestyle habits
- -Ability to be a healthy lifestyle role model
- -Ability to occasionally work evenings and weekends
- -Desirable: experience as an academic classroom teacher and experience training/teaching adults
How to Apply:
This full-time position is for the 2018-19 school year (10-month contract). Interviews will begin after April 22nd. Positions will remain open until filled. Please submit cover letter and resume to Mary Dunne Stewart, email@example.com by April 17th. No phone calls, please.
Fit4Kids is committed to equal access and opportunity for everyone. Fit4Kids does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religious affiliation, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, or veteran status in employment, partnership or program delivery.