Fit4Kids has an immediate opening for a Wellness Integration Specialist. This full-time, 10-month (teaching) position is an integral member of our team.
Greater Richmond Fit4Kids is a non-profit organization created to improve the health and wellness of children by increasing physical activity and promoting healthy eating. The organization is focused on improving children’s health and reducing childhood obesity. Please review our web site at www.grfit4kids.org for more information about Fit4Kids.
This position works to infuse partner schools with a culture of health and wellness. This position is responsible for empowering classroom teachers so that they are motivated, skilled, and comfortable integrating physical activity and nutrition information into the core curriculum. The Wellness Integration Specialist (WIS) will also work to create sustainable changes in the school environment to promote lasting wellness opportunities. The job also entails providing information and opportunities related to other wellness topics.
The position will be open until filled with interviews beginning as soon as possible. If interested, please submit resume and cover letter as soon as possible to Mary Dunne Stewart at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Compiles lessons/activities that integrate physical activity (and whenever possible, nutrition information) into the core curriculum
• Shares with all elementary teachers lessons/activities that integrate physical activity and nutrition information into the core curriculum (via any or all of the following: staff development, handouts, website, hard copy binders with active lessons)
• Provides instruction and modeling to teachers/staff so that they will integrate physical activity and nutrition information into the core curriculum
• Visits classrooms and provides feedback to teachers who are integrating physical activity and nutrition information into core curriculum
• Facilitates the creation of School Wellness Council in partnership with the PTA and other school community members
• Deliver trainings to university Education classes and groups of teachers about active learning
• Work with teachers and staff to provide wellness opportunities for students outside of school (before and after school)
• Works with the Council to plan and help implement healthy changes for staff, students and families
• Works with the Councils to ensure that regulations to the School Wellness Policy are implemented fully
• Assists with the evaluation of the Wellness Integration Program
• Participate and support after school activities that encourage parents to support the Wellness Integration Program
• Performs other related duties as assigned
• Undergraduate or advanced college degree in either elementary education or physical education or related fields
• Possession or eligibility for a Virginia Teacher’s license required
• Extensive knowledge of health education and wellness topics such as nutrition and physical fitness
• Excellent communication skills and ability to develop rapport with adults and children
• Excellent time management and creative thinking skills
• Enthusiasm and passion for helping students and teachers develop healthy eating and active lifestyle habits
• Ability to be a healthy lifestyle role model
• Ability to occasionally work evenings and weekends
• Desirable: experience as an academic classroom teacher and experience training/teaching adults
How to Apply:
This full-time position is for the 2015-16 school year (10-month contract). Interviews will begin immediately. Positions will remain open until filled. Please submit cover letter and resume as soon as possible to Mary Dunne Stewart, email@example.com
As an equal opportunity program, Fit4Kids encourages applications from all individuals and evaluates all candidates on a merit basis.