About the Position:
Fit4Kids is hiring a Full Time (temporary) Lead Garden Educator for our Learning Garden program. The position starts immediately and will end in early June. The position pays $2,500/month and includes health/dental benefits from day one. Candidate must be available Monday through Friday 8 to 5 pm. There is a potential to renew for future school years pending grant funding. Interviews will begin immediately (the week of August 29th) as we are looking to fill the position as soon as possible.
This is a position that requires in-person teaching at partner schools, in addition to some in-person work at our greenhouse.
The Educator will collaborate with schools to maintain their school garden and lead academic, garden-based lessons for elementary school classes during their school day. The Educator will also lead after-school garden club lessons with elementary and middle school students. The Lead Educator also assists with our greenhouse and prepping food for classroom taste tests. The purpose of our program is to leverage gardens and nutrition education to increase students’ consumption of fruits and vegetables and encourage healthy eating.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead hands-on in-person lessons that integrate the garden into the core, standards-based curriculum
- Maintain communication between Fit4Kids staff, school staff, teachers, and volunteers
- Collect and enter data for various program evaluation requirements to ensure program effectiveness
- Assist with some greenhouse duties, as needed
- Availability to work in person (following all CDC guidelines)
- Access to reliable transportation
- Demonstrated commitment to a healthy lifestyle
- Experience growing produce is a plus
- Experience working with groups of children and leading educational sessions
- Motivated self-starter with strong interpersonal communication skills, both oral and written
- Strong attention to detail and multitasking
- Experience interacting with ethnically and socio-economically diverse communities and the ability to integrate into an existing school community
- Knowledge of computer and internet-based programs for communicating with colleagues, and reporting program data
- Ability to submit a complete background check
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination
- This position requires lifting and moving garden supplies weighing up to 50 pounds and working in outdoor weather conditions. This position will need to position self to maintain raised bed gardens in a crouched or kneeling position.
Interested applicants should complete an application and upload a brief cover letter and resume at this web site – https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/f4kleadgardeneducator
Please note: In addition to this one FT position, Fit4Kids is partnering with a local farm to explore opportunities to create positions that would be part-time Fit4Kids garden educator and part-time at this local farm. The organizations would collaborate to create a schedule where shifts do not overlap and additional farm work would be available during school breaks (some winter and summer hours).
If you have any questions, please email Fit4Kids Garden Coordinator Nan Peña at nan(at)grfit4kids.org
About the Organization:
Greater Richmond Fit4Kids is a non-profit organization created to improve the health and wellness of children by increasing physical activity and promoting healthy eating. The organization is focused on improving children’s health and reducing childhood obesity.
Fit4Kids is committed to equal access and opportunity for everyone. Fit4Kids does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religious affiliation, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, or veteran status in employment, partnership or program delivery.