Fit4Kids Family Engagement Coordinator
The Family Engagement Coordinator is a grant-funded, part-time position (roughly 15 hours per week, $20/hour) for a motivated and energetic individual who is passionate about school wellness and community engagement. This position will work with the Fit4Kids Policy Director to advocate for policies that impact the lives of thousands of children. The engagement efforts will initially be focused at the local level in Richmond City, with some work branching out into other localities Fit4Kids serves, including Petersburg, Henrico, and Chesterfield.
The Family Engagement Coordinator will be a member of the communities we serve, who will lead recruitment and engagement efforts to promote family involvement in the development of, and advocacy for, school wellness policy. The Family Engagement Coordinator will work in concert with Fit4Kids Policy Director and partners to engage parents and community stakeholders to uncover and prioritize other systems and policy initiatives that are community-driven related to physical activity and healthy eating.
The key objectives for this position are to:
- Provide advocacy training to coalition partners and school communities
- Regularly attend school or community events during the school year (September- June) to build relationships with families and school staff, recruit parents/caretakers for policy advocacy involvement, and share meeting or event information as necessary
- Recruit and build a group of parents to engage in the selection of wellness policy priorities
- In collaboration with the Policy Director, meet with and educate decisionmakers, including policymakers and school administrators on childhood wellness efforts and best practices
- Maintain a working knowledge of best practices related to school physical activity (recess and active transportation) and school food environments
- Keep up to date on policy happenings on a local, state, and federal level related to physical activity and nutrition
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with orienting and training interns
- Create and maintain a tracking system for parent/community member recruitment contacts
- No specific education is required. A candidate who is a community member or a caregiver of a student in a locality Fit4Kids serves is highly desirable.
- Experience with community engagement or grassroots advocacy is a plus.
- Individual must be willing to occasionally work evenings and weekends in order to attend school and community meetings and events, to engage with parents and community members.
- Demonstrated commitment to Fit4Kids mission and ability to present, inform, and motivate individuals and groups about Fit4Kids mission and programs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities at a time
All Fit4Kids employees are required to submit proof of full vaccination against COVID-19, except in cases with an approved religious or medical exemption. Anyone granted an exemption will be required to submit a negative proctored COVID-19 test result weekly.
Interested applicants should email a brief cover letter and current resume to Justine Blincoe at firstname.lastname@example.org
Fit4Kids is committed to equal access and opportunity for everyone. Fit4Kids does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, religious affiliation, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, or veteran status in employment, partnership or program delivery.