Are you passionate about children, healthy eating, and physical activity? If so, be a intern or volunteer with Fit4Kids — the only organization in the Richmond region focused solely on preventing childhood obesity.
Interns and Volunteers have assisted Fit4Kids with Active Recess, Food Explorers, Learning Gardens, Eat Fresh RPS, Safe Routes to Schools, Health Fairs, BMI Data Collection, and many other special events.
Volunteer with us!
Fruit and Veggie Week
March 25-29, 2019
Greater Richmond Fit4Kids and Richmond Public Schools’ School Nutrition Services are teaming up with the Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Foundation for Fruit and Veggie Week with 20 Richmond Public Schools! It is our hope that the increased access and exposure to fruit and vegetables will allow students to make healthier choices in their cafeterias! Fruit and Veggie Week is an easy way for students to try new items at no consequence! But–we need your help to make this a success!!
- – Assist cafeteria staff in portioning fruit and veggie samples
- – Distribute samples to students
- – Educate and encourage students to try new items
Learning Garden Volunteer Opportunities
Spring & Summer 2019
Spend an afternoon as a planting assistant to our Garden Educator during after-school club. This immersive experience will allow you to have a first-hand look at how the garden club operates. (When: See below)
- Ruby Carver Elementary – April 23, May 28, June 4
- Swansboro Elementary – May 15, May 22
- Cary Elementary – May 15, May 22
INTERESTED? Email our Garden Coordinator, Sara Artiglia, and share date preference.
Garden Work Day
Gather your friends and family and come out to work in a garden. This half-day opportunity will give you and your group the chance to help clean up an existing garden space or install a new garden. (When: TBD, end of summer)
INTERESTED? Email our Garden Coordinator, Sara Artiglia, to express your interest.
Help us maintain a garden this summer by watering, weeding, and harvesting one of our many school gardens. Adopting a garden will keep our garden looking marvelous all summer long! By adopting a garden, you help ensure gardens are program-ready for hundreds of kids once school is back in session. (When: June 24-August 26)
This is great for groups or an individual!
WHAT TO KNOW:
- – With the help of our Garden Coordinator, you choose a school garden that’s right for you! Check out garden locations: 2019 Learning Garden Sites
- – Commit to visiting the garden 1-2x/wk from June 24-Aug 26 (if group, only 1-2 volunteers needed each visit).
- – For groups, Lead Volunteer needed to coordinate schedule and group communication.
- – Each weekly visit will take approximately 30-45 minutes
- – Attend brief tutorial with Garden Coordinator at beginning of the summer to learn the basics.
- – You’ll get a cheat sheet sharing location specific details and resource guide
- – Volunteers must complete a background check (might be able to use company background check if already completed)
- – Hope to confirm all Adopt-a-Garden volunteers by June 1st!
INTERESTED? Volunteer lead should complete the form below.
Intern with us!
Summer 2019 Interns
Greater Richmond Fit4Kids is a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving children’s health and wellness and reducing the prevalence of childhood obesity in the Richmond Region. We are seeking candidates for our Summer 2019 internship program. Interns will have the opportunity to work directly the following programs: Learning Gardens, and our newest female-centric program, Game On Girl!. In addition to this, interns will assist with various administrative tasks, including data collection and entry, social media promotions, blog posts, and more to achieve organizational goals.
Ideal candidates are self-motivated, enthusiastic, able to work independently and collaboratively, adaptable, patient, able to work well with children, and able to provide their own transportation to programming sites. Prior experience with health and nutrition is not necessary; however, a passion for both is highly encouraged.
On site training will be provided. Applicants are required to submit a background check prior to service with Fit4Kids.
Internship will be 15-25 hours a week, May-August. No stipend provided.
Public Health, Anthropology, Sociology, Social Work, and Health, Physical Education and Exercise Science (HPEX) majors are strongly encouraged to apply, as well as student athletes, intramural athletes, and individuals with group fitness and coaching experience. Students with Spanish-speaking proficiencies are also encouraged to apply.
To get involved with Fit4Kids, email Kayla at email@example.com. Please attach a copy of your resume, cover letter, and course requirements, if applicable.